1. In 2014 the Governance Services Team procured the Modern.Gov Committee IT system to replace the in house system that had become outdated, inefficient and could no longer be supported. The system is essential to the Council’s democratic process by facilitating decision making through a calendar of meetings, recording details of elected Members, and compiling meeting agendas, minutes and decisions to ensure openness and transparency. The package converts agenda papers and decision records to PDF files and also includes an App to enable agendas, reports and decisions to be accessed through mobile devices. The encrypted app also allows confidential information to remain secure ensuring it is only viewed by those who are entitled to access it via a password. The use of the App is becoming more important as Councillors are encouraged to use digital devices rather than paper copies to read their agendas during meetings.
2. The system is primarily used by Governance Services and elected members but has over recent years been used by other teams in the Council to facilitate other internal or partnership meetings.
3. The original contract period was from 5.12.14 to 16.12 19. A further 2 year extension was agreed with the contract expiring 16.12.21. There are no further extensions included within the original contractual arrangements.
Reason For Decision
4. Moving forward the Governance Team need to maintain a robust Committee and decision making management system. This direct award arrangement falls under the Crown Commercial Services Framework, set up in accordance with EU procurement rules, allowing the Council to purchase the services without the need to run a separate tender. A direct award is therefore the preferred option as the tender process followed by migration of data, training, roll out and implementation of a new system is time and resource intensive. The initial setting up costs of a new provider and officer time in undertaking these tasks with a new contractor would be significant compared to continuing with the ongoing annual costs of the current system.
5. The cost of the new contract will be £13,400 per annum plus annual increase in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI) for the next 2 years. The current rate is £13,385 per annum plus annual RPI increase. The budget is available within Corporate Services to continue to meet the cost of this annual contract.
6. By using a direct award the Council will continue to receive the same level of service including, ongoing maintenance and support, use of an encrypted app and the programme will continue to be hosted externally. The proposed arrangement also provides some certainty of future costs moving forward.
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 04/01/2022
Decision due: 22 Dec 2021 by Assistant Director Legal and Democratic Services
Contact: Andrew Sercombe, Governance Manager Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.